Wednesday, September 2, 2009

One sound of autumn

My husband was up and at 'em already this morning and I was groggily making our bed. (I am NOT a morning person.) Truthfully, I was dreading my day ahead a bit -- work and I are at a bit of an impasse.

Then, I heard the vaguely melancholy sound of Canada geese honking as they flew above our house. Something about that sound has a distinct autumnal feel. I instantly picture yellowing leaves against crisp, pinkish sunsets when I hear geese.

I am ashamed to say I don't know enough about geese and their migration patterns to tell you if they are coming to Colorado or going to some distant shore in the fall. All I know is their sound means fall is on the way.

They helped start off my day with a smile, and I wish them well on their journey between the two nests they call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment